Stichting Gasturbine Onderwijs (SGO)
The Foundation for Gas Turbine Education SGO was set up in 1990 by the Dutch Gas Turbine Association. SGO finances a professorate in gas turbine technology at the Delft Technical University, Faculty of Design, Engineering and Production and the Faculty for Aerospace Engineering.
The Foundation Gas Turbine Education (SGO)was founded in January 1990, by DGTA.
The objectives of the SGO are twofold:
- support and continuation of gas turbine education at university level;
support of education in the field of gas turbines; HBO and MBO level.
The Foundation is financed by additional contributions from DGTA-members and contributions from other turbine related companies and institutions in the Netherlands.The primary focus of the SGO was to establish and secure gas turbine education at university level via a learning chair at the TU Delft.
SGO have financed a professorate in gas turbine technology at the Delft Technical University, Faculty of Design, Engineering and Production and the Faculty for Aerospace Engineering for more than 20 years. Professor J.P. van Buijtenen is in charge. He started his position in 1993. More than 100 students have graduated. Most of the young engineers will find work in the gas turbine industry in the Netherlands or abroad (e.g. Rolls Royce, Siemens, ABB). Some are doing a PhD either at the Delft Technical University, or elsewhere (MIT, Cranfield, Ecole Central de Paris).
From the late 90s, the objectives of the foundation expanded from only education into gas turbine research. In consultation with the industry, subjects have been formulated, funding was found and PhD candidates have been recruited. Two of them have started in 2009, on projects supported by KLM and by Electrabel.
Furthermore a full-time Assistant Professor has been appointed, Mr. Arvid Rao and a second Assistant Professor for the Mechanical Engineering Faculty (3mE), Mr. Rene Pecnik, has been appointed 2010.
Research subjects are e.g.:
- Integration of a gas turbine with a biomass gasifier
- The influence of tar composition and concentration on fouling, emission and efficiency of micro and small gas turbines by combustion of biomass derived low calorific gas
- Experiments with integrated gasifier, gas cleaning, gas turbine for determination of emissions and parallel CFD modelling
- Low NOx emission in a newly designed combustion chamber for LCV gas
- Advanced gas turbine systems (complex cycles)
- complex cycles (intercooling, recuperation, reheat)
- HAT, CHAT, TopHat
- Chemical recuperation
- Fuel cell integration
Steam cooling of blades
In addition, the Delft Technical University would like to initiate the following future areas of research:
- Small gas turbine design and application
- Scale effects in gas turbine design
- Practical aspects in miniaturisation
- Design of high speed driven equipment
- Design of integrated gas turbine/equipment
On August 29, 2011, the HBO Minor Gas Turbine Technology has started. This a result of the cooperation of 4 HBO-schools and Dutch gas turbine companies, with the financial support of SGO.
The DGTA director is member of the SGO Board. De secretariat of the SGO is hosted by DGTA.
SGO Board Members
- Mr. F.H.W.M. Meyer, Chairman
- Mr. P. de Witte
- Ms. J.M. Hey
- Mr. A. Vos
Section Gas Turbines
- Prof. J.P. van Buijtenen Technical University of Delft
- Dr. A.G. Rao Technical University of Delft
- Dr.R.Pecnik Technical University of Delft
- Mr. G. Doornbos Hogeschool INHolland, Delft
Below you will find the supporting organsation of the SGO. The representatives of these organisation form the board of advisory.
- Akzo Nobel Industrial Chemicals
- Alstom Power Nederland B.V.
- Ansaldo Thomassen
- Chromalloy Holland
- Defensie Materieel Organisatie / LCW
- Dutch Aero
- E.ON Benelux
- Fokker Services
- GDF Suez Energie Nederland
- Gowrings Continental B.V.
- Innecs Power Systems
- KLM Engingeering & Maintenance
- Martinair Holland
- Nederlandse Defensie Academie
- Shell Global Solutions
- Stork Technical Services
- Sulzer Turbo Services Venlo
- Sulzer Eldim
- TU Delft
- Woodward Governor Nederland
Stichting Gasturbine Onderwijs - SGO
P.O Box 2600
3430 GA Nieuwegein
Contact person: Anne Marie Hey
T. +31 (0)30 750 9814
F. +31 (0)30 750 9816